EMMA.

27 februari in de bioscoop. Praat mee!

Een van Jane's eerste boeken, maar pas na haar dood uitgebracht... wat vind je er van?
Mrs. Allen was one of that numerous class of females, whose society can raise no other emotion than surprise at there being any men in the world who could like them well enough to marry them
...they proceeded to make inquiries and give intelligence as to their families, sisters, and cousins, talking both together, far more ready to give than to receive information, and each hearing very little of what the other said
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love
By rosa
Grappig; Als je eerst het citaat van Mrs. Shakespear over mrs. Allen leest ( she had neither beauty, genius, accomplishment nor manner) en daarna de volgende opmerking over Mr. Allen een paar hoofdstukken later:

"And I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than mr. Allen"
En ook al geen kinderen,een vriendin die continu opschept over haar buitengewone kroost.Arme mrs. Allen. Dan heb je toch geen andere keus dan je bezig te houden met jurken en kant? ;)
En gelukkig maar, the lace on Mrs. Thorpe's pelisse was not half as handsome as that on her own, dat is dan weer een troost , met een echtgenoot die de ene jurk niet van de andere kan onderscheiden :)
By rosa
Mr. Tilney: Thank you; for now we shall soon be acquainted, as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet, and nothing in the world advances intimacy so much
By Maria
Could they be perpetraded without being known in a country like this
where social and literary intercourse is on such a footing,where every man is surrounded
by a neighbourhood of voluntary spies,and where roads and newspapers lay everything open?***

Maria
Het boek zit vol met leuke citaten.. :P
“As far as I have had opportunity of judging, it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing among women is faultless, except in three particulars.”

“And what are they?”

“A general deficiency of subject, a total inattention to stops, and a very frequent ignorance of grammar.”
In every power, of which taste is the foundation, excellence is pretty fairly divided between the sexes.”
By rosa
Inderdaad zit het boek vol met leuke, scherpe citaten. Jane maakt weinig woorden vuil aan beschrijving van het weer, de huizen, uiterlijk etc. zodat bijna elk woord er toe doet.
Het boek bevat zeker een aantal pareltjes, en dan heb ik het nog niet eens uit. Mij valt op dat in NA, het eerste boek van JA, de quotes meer filosofisch en algemeen van aard zijn, waarbij ze door haar karakters haar mening laat spreken.
I read it (History) a little as a duty, but it tells me nothing that does not vex or weary me. The quarrels of popes and kings, with wars and pestilences, in every page; the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at all - it is very tiresome: and yet I often think it odd that it should be so dull, for a great deal of it must be invention (...) and invention is what delights me in other books
Where people wish to attach, they should always be ignorant. To come with a well-informed mind is to come with an inability of administering to the vanity of others, which a sensible person would always wish to avoid. A woman especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can
On his (John Thorpe's) two younger sisters he then bestowed an equal proportion of his fraternal tenderness, for he asked each of them how they did, and observed that they both looked very ugly
She (Catherine) had not been brought up to understand the propensities of a rattle, nor how to know how many idel assertions and impudent falsehoods the excess of vanity will lead. Her own family were plain, matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father at the utmost, being contented with a pun, and her mother with a proverb
...and they parted - on Miss Tilney's side with some knowledge of her new acquaintance's feelings, and on Catherine's, without the smallest consciousness of having explained them
By Frouckje
Every young lady may feel for my
heroine in this critical moment, for every young lady
has at some time or other known the same agitation.
All have been, or at least all have believed themselves to be,
in danger from the pursuit of someone whom they wished
to avoid; and all have been anxious for the attentions
of someone whom they wished to please.
Ik weet niet hoe het met jullie zit, maar dit herken ik ook echt!
Kun je nagaan: (oei, nu klink ik als mn moeder) zoveel jaren en ontwikkeling later, en nog zijn mensen zo ontzettend hetzelfde!
Frouckje schreef:
Every young lady may feel for my
heroine in this critical moment, for every young lady
has at some time or other known the same agitation.
All have been, or at least all have believed themselves to be,
in danger from the pursuit of someone whom they wished
to avoid; and all have been anxious for the attentions
of someone whom they wished to please.
Ik weet niet hoe het met jullie zit, maar dit herken ik ook echt!
Kun je nagaan: (oei, nu klink ik als mn moeder) zoveel jaren en ontwikkeling later, en nog zijn mensen zo ontzettend hetzelfde!
Wat grappig dat je die eruit haalt! Ik las hem ook van de week en herkende het meteen, of nog beter: ik heb precies hetzelfde op dit moment!

In de avond is er altijd nog even een uurtje over […]

Emma dvd

De dvd heb ik aangeschaft en deze is geweldig. Dit[…]

Social Media Campaign

Misschien worden je wensen vervuld: https://www.ja[…]

Waar draait EMMA.?

"Emma" draait in Pathé Tuschinski[…]

Bezoek JaneAusten.nl voor het laatste nieuws!