EMMA.

27 februari in de bioscoop. Praat mee!

Hier kun je laten weten wat je van dit boek vindt.
By Alynia
Volgens mij is hij al genoemd in het picknick-topic:
"My idea of good company, Mr Elliot, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company."

"You are mistaken," said he gently, "that is not good company; that is the best".
A lady, without a family, was the best preserver of furniture in the world.
Gewoon een leuke opmerking. En ook wel tegenstrijdig met het feit dat Persuasion JA's meest feministische werk wordt genoemd.
By Karenlee
Wellicht mijn aller, aller favoriete Austen citaat ooit (het vat gewoon alles samen die ik zo leuk aan haar schrijfstijl vind):

"By this time the report of the accident had spread among the workmen and boatmen about the Cobb, and many were collected near them, to be useful if wanted; at any rate, to enjoy the sight of a dead young lady, nay, two dead young ladies, for it proved twice as fine as the first report."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Die had ik waarschijnlijk niet zelf eruit gehaald, maar nu ik hem zo lees is hij echt geweldig - inderdaad vat het precies JA's schrijfstijl samen.

Wat ik verder goed vond, misschien in lijn met Karenlee's quote, vanwege de ongegeneerde gevoelloosheid waarmee JA het beschrijft, waardoor het onwijs gevat en ironisch is: de geschiedenis van Richard Musgrove:
The real circumstances of this pathetic piece of family history were that the Musgroves had the ill fortune of a very troublesome, hopeless son; and the good fortune to lose him before he reached his twentieth year; that he had been sent to sea because he was stupid and unmanageable on shore; that he had been very little cared for at any time by his family, though quite as much as he deserved; seldom heard of, and scarcely at all regretted when the intelligence of his death abroad had worked his way to Uppercross, two years before. He had, in fact, (...) been nothing better than a thick-headed, unfeeling, unprofitable Dick Musgrove, who had never done anything to entitle himself to more than the abbreviation of his name, living or dead.
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means
as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half
hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone
for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own,
than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say
that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death.
I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and
resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought
me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen
this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? - I had not waited
even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you
must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant
hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I
can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others.
- Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do
believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe
it to be most fervent, most undeviating in

F.W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow
your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide
whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By Karenlee
Er is een lopend (een leuke) debaat hier die (gelukkig) waarschijnlijk nooit 'beslist' zal kunnen worden over: Jane - romanticus of mensenkenner? Iedereen hier weet dat ik naar de tweede neig, en een van de redenen is hoe Jane 'liefdegevoelens' beschrijft. Zelfs op het moment dat haar vrouwen ontdekken dat ze van iemand houden, wordt het nooit weergegeven in woorden of beschrijvingen van hooggevlogen gevoelens of romantiek - de 'sense' wint het altijd van 'sensibility'. Hier Elizabeth op het moment supreme:

"She began now to comprehend that he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents, would most suit her. His understanding and temper, though unlike her own, would have answered all her wishes. It was a union that must have been to the advantage of both. By her ease and liveliness, his mind might have been softened, his manners improved, and from his judgment, information and knowledge of the world, she must have received benefit of greater importance." De realisatie van Emma over Mr Knightly is ook op zo'n rationele manier weergegeven. Waar zit het 'verlangen', het 'een zijn' met de andere, het 'zonder elkaar zijn we niets' die zo kenmerkend is van 'romantiek'? Nergens.. :P

Daartegenovergesteld, is er maar een moment (die ik tot nu toe heb bespeurd) waar Austen haar heroine wel dat soort gedachten laat hebben - in Persuasion. En aan het eind van de passage kan ze het niet laten om - heel lichtjes - de spot mee te bedrijven:

"She (Anne) felt a great deal of good-will towards him (Mr Elliot). In spite of the mischief of his attentions, she owed him gratitude and regard, perhaps compassion... There was much to regret. How she might have felt had there been no Captain Wentworth in the case, was not worth enquiry; for there was a Captain Wentworth; and be the conclusion of the present suspense good or bad, her affection would be his for ever. Their union, she believed, could not divide her more from other men, than their final separation.

"Prettier musings of high-wrought love and eternal constancy, could never have passed along the streets of Bath, than Anne was sporting with from Camden Place to Westgate Buildings. It was almost enough to spread purification and perfume all the way." :lol:

Kom op - geef eens toe. Dat is veel meer een mensenkenner dan een echte 'romanticus'.

In de avond is er altijd nog even een uurtje over […]

Emma dvd

De dvd heb ik aangeschaft en deze is geweldig. Dit[…]

Social Media Campaign

Misschien worden je wensen vervuld: https://www.ja[…]

Waar draait EMMA.?

"Emma" draait in Pathé Tuschinski[…]

Bezoek JaneAusten.nl voor het laatste nieuws!